Low carb, vegetarian, keto, gluten-free, delicious!
I must admit that I was the most surprised when I first made and tried this pizza. If you think that because it is cauliflower, it will taste bad or too cauliflower-ish... I must tell you that this recipe does not ask for anything in an ordinary pizza. And, you also have the added benefit that you are eating something healthy and delicious!
You can use your favorite toppings on this dough, just like you would a normal pizza. As you'll see, we've done it several times. The first time we made this pizza, we made it with meatballs and some veggies - my husband's favorite - (first picture). The second time, we made a Hawaiian version with veggies too - more my style - (second picture). We've also made it with feta cheese, which I personally love now!
The key to the consistency of this pizza is to remove as much of the water from the cauliflower. Below I explain how to do it. The rest is very simple, so get creative and add your favorite ingredients.
The recipe has few ingredients. Many recipes have a lot of spices, but here the flavor is given by the ingredients you put on top. therefore, it is not necessary to abuse the spices for the dough.
Some tips that will help you make this recipe come out much better:
- If you are a vegetarian, this recipe is perfect. Just omit the meat and ham. You can even use vegan cheeses like macadamia nuts or cashews.
- Cauliflower contains a large volume of water, so if we don't want to end up with a very watery mass, we must drain it as well as possible.
There are several methods:
The easiest for me is to microwave the cauliflower rice for several minutes (process below). Afterwards, it is necessary to drain the water as well as possible with a net.
Another way to eliminate the water is by heating the cauliflower rice in a frying pan with no oil over low heat and after it cools down a bit, drain the water with a net as with the previous process. Either method is good, although the latter seems to me to take more time.
The third way, is to bake the cauliflower rice in the oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes. As in the previous methods, let it cool, and then squeeze the water out of the ball with a cheesecloth to drain as much water as possible.
.Prep Time: 20 minutes. .Cook time: 30 minutes. .Total time: 50 minutes.
1 large cauliflower or 2 small (or about 700g of
store-bought cauliflower rice)
1 & ½ cups (approx. 100g) grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup (approx. 45g) grated mozzarella cheese
1 egg + 1 egg white
Bowl to mix ingredients
Medium oven pizza base or baking sheet
Parchment paper or silicone mat
Food processor or blender (not needed if you're
using store-bought "cauli-rice")
- Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F).
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and wash it well.
- Dry it and process in a food processor or blender until "rice" texture forms
(skip this step if you're using store-bought "rice").
- Microwave the cauliflower for about 3 minutes at 800-900W.
- Let it cool down for about 15-20 minutes.
- Eliminate the excess of water by draining it with a double/triple
layered cheesecloth or linen towel. I used the ones they sell to
make almond milk. Be patient as it takes time and effort.
Do this several times until hardly any water comes out
- When you have removed as much water as possible, mix the
cauliflower, egg and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl
(not the mozzarella because we'll use it as a topping).
- You should have a dough with a somewhat solid consistency.
- Place it on parchment paper and spread it giving it the shape you want with a
thickness less than 1cm. Don't leave her too thick, nor the edges too thin
so that it is homogeneous and do not burn.
- Put it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the toppings *. Some ideas:
Basics: tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese
Hawaiian: pineapple and ham
Vegetables: mushrooms, peppers, onion
* Note: If you are adding feta cheese, do not put it in the oven and add it until the end.
- Place it back in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- When ready, take it out and cut into 6 to 8 pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store it: You can refrigerate leftovers covered for
up to 2 days. Freeze - cool and wrap in plastic or
large Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw
completely before baking it with any toppings.